My six words came out of an experience I had when I went to a government agency deliver some document as part of my work on behalf of a client. I needed help in finding the person to whom I was to deliver the documents. One of the employees of the agency tried to get her fellow employee to join in the effort to help me. The first employee who tried to help, said to the other, “he has something for his worker.” The thought which came to mind as I heard words, was that I was perceived as an African-American person who was at the agency for the purpose of receiving government benefits. I am an attorney in private practice and would describe myself as Afro-Caribbean-American. I was at the agency as part of my representation of my client for an upcoming legal proceeding.
Faces of TRCP
In the News
Recent Race Cards
More Race Cards…
- I Won’t Choose to Pacify You
- Girls are different? Sorry, didn’t know.
- Civil Rights era needs extended now
- One doesn’t have to represent All
- How is this all my fault?
- Full opportunity for all is important
- But you speak really good English
- I’m white so I’m automatically privileged
- Being Asian doesn’t mean I’m Chinese
- WHITE people can’t make red chile!
- Adopted parents, who the hell knows?
- But I think you look white??
- SPJ honors Norris for exceptional service to journalism
- Border life safety, mass murder, lose.
- Her black smile I fondly remember
- I am stronger then you think.
- Can a white male ever understand?
- You’re too pretty to be gay!
- I want to touch your skin.
- I am always missing some of me
- White male. God I am bland.
- My kids are “beige”, not white…
- My natural hair is not disrespectful.
- You are running out of excuses
- Whites not allowed to discuss race
TagsAfrican American American Ann Arbor anonymous Asian bi-racial Black Brooklyn CA check the box Color Family FL GA IL MA MD Mexican MI mixed MN MO NC New York City NPR NY OH OR PA Race racism Racist Seattle skin stereotype Talk of the Nation Trayvon Martin twitter TX Understanding Race Project University of Michigan USA VA WA white