My six words came out of an experience I had when I went to a government agency deliver some document as part of my work on behalf of a client. I needed help in finding the person to whom I was to deliver the documents. One of the employees of the agency tried to get her fellow employee to join in the effort to help me. The first employee who tried to help, said to the other, “he has something for his worker.” The thought which came to mind as I heard words, was that I was perceived as an African-American person who was at the agency for the purpose of receiving government benefits. I am an attorney in private practice and would describe myself as Afro-Caribbean-American. I was at the agency as part of my representation of my client for an upcoming legal proceeding.
Faces of TRCP
In the News
Recent Race Cards
More Race Cards…
- Wish race conversations were more nuanced.
- If blind, what color are you?
- I am not a petting zoo.
- White from perception Muslim from within
- Part Native American, regret not recognizably.
- Fake friends slandered my wife’s ethnicity.
- I try, my racism seems hard-wired.
- Superior Race There’s No Such Thing
- Biligaana living off-reservation and missing frybread
- Black kids, white moms, strong family.
- Caught between defying and affirming stereotypes.
- Tired of Asians being a minority
- Race Is Perception, Adjust Yours!
- Sorry Brothers, Didn’t vote Obama…Black
- The Media molded us this way.
- “Wow! You don’t have an accent.”
- Being white makes race discussions difficult
- Saw an ugly world too early
- Young Bearded White Male…ehh
- No, she’s really my mom
- Black Guy In A Crazy World
- Why do people fear black people
- My skin doesn’t make me better
- Race is simply just a word.
- No Human Being Is Born Racist.
TagsAfrican American American Ann Arbor anonymous Asian bi-racial Black Brooklyn CA check the box Color Family FL GA IL MA MD Mexican MI mixed MN MO NC New York City NPR NY OH OR PA Race racism Racist Seattle skin stereotype Talk of the Nation Trayvon Martin twitter TX Understanding Race Project University of Michigan USA VA WA white