Raising, playing, growing and living as a diverse family is an extraordinary experience. It brings both good days and tough days – obstacles and disappointments, laughter and lightheartedness. The journey is full of stares – stares full of curiosity, stares full of love and stares of hatefulness from the people we encounter from time to time in our lives. While both my husband and I want to believe that society has risen above racism – we have a biracial president after all – it still exists and we talk our kids through it and about it all of the time, especially our teenager, who is now driving and looks like an adult – especially to a police officer. I wouldn’t change anything about our experience! We learn something new every day and we share our openness, love and acceptance with everyone we know/meet. Life is precious!
Faces of TRCP
In the News
Recent Race Cards
More Race Cards…
- Black kids, white moms, strong family.
- Caught between defying and affirming stereotypes.
- Tired of Asians being a minority
- Race Is Perception, Adjust Yours!
- Sorry Brothers, Didn’t vote Obama…Black
- The Media molded us this way.
- “Wow! You don’t have an accent.”
- Being white makes race discussions difficult
- Saw an ugly world too early
- Young Bearded White Male…ehh
- No, she’s really my mom
- Black Guy In A Crazy World
- Why do people fear black people
- My skin doesn’t make me better
- Race is simply just a word.
- No Human Being Is Born Racist.
- My students are just as excellent.
- Father’s anger cries trail of tears
- Those were rules for uncivilized times
- 1/2 Black; 1/4 Chinese; 1/4 Norwegian
- Race DOES NOT define you.
- The beaner who served our country.
- My skin is not your accessory.
- I’m actually from the United States
- Some see me as an Oppressor
TagsAfrican American American Ann Arbor anonymous Asian bi-racial Black Brooklyn CA check the box Color Family FL GA IL MA MD Mexican MI mixed MN MO NC New York City NPR NY OH OR PA Race racism Racist Seattle skin stereotype Talk of the Nation Trayvon Martin twitter TX Understanding Race Project University of Michigan USA VA WA white