More 6-word offerings…
– Life was less racial in Europe
– Look black, more than half white
– Ticked one box, denied one parent
– Forced to deny half my heritage
– Why should I pick just one?
It’s not that race isn’t an issue in Europe, more that after nearly 8 years living there, I felt more comfortable and more accepted for my mixed race. More people knew at a glance that I wasn’t “just” black, that I was multiple races. Not only that, but there were more boxes for me to tick. There were more options. I didn’t have to choose just one, as I did when registering at the DMV in North Carolina.